Newborn photo shoots are a great way to capture images of your little one while they are still little. Having had a sproglet myself, I can vouch that the ‘teeny tiny’ stage passes much quicker than you think it will!
If a newborn shoot is something that you may be interested in, grab a cuppa and have a quick read.....
1. What style of photos do you want. Newborn photography falls broadly into two camps; the ‘posed' and the ‘lifestyle’.
- Posed shoots – Typically take place within 2 weeks of birth. At this early age, babies are very sleepy and ‘mouldable’. These images usually involve props (provided by the photographer; blankets, wraps, hats etc) and detailed editing after the shoot, to achieve a flawless finish.
- Lifestyle shoots - a more natural approach to new born photography, showing the baby in his/her home environment - often with parents and siblings. There is no baby age limit on these sessions.
2. Where will the session take place?
- Lifestyle sessions take place in the family home, while newborn sessions can take place either in the photographers studio - or in the family home with a mobile studio set-up.
3. A little preparation to keep the little one happy;
- A toasty warm room - whether at home or in the photographers studio, the environment should be nice and warm. This is especially important for posed shoots, where the baby will be nude / wearing very little
- Clothing that can be easily removed - again especially important for the posed shoots, where the baby is usually photographed sound asleep. Sleep-suits with zips and poppers all the way down the front, make it far easier to undress baby without waking them.
- Feeding - babies are always happier with a full tummy (aren't we all?!), so its handy to feed your little one just before the session. I also allow for feeding breaks throughout my shoots :-)
- Comforters - always useful to have on hand. I have a 'white noise' app that works really well with some babies, but if there is something that works especially well for your baby (dummy? familiar blanket?) then do bring that along too.
- Time of day - is there a particular time of day that your little one is asleep / awake? If so mention that to you photographer when booking your session.
And thats about it.....so I'll end there with a selection of images from my latest newborn 'lifestyle' shoot #squidgybaby #yumscrum
I'm Ilkley based photographer, but happily travel around Yorkshire (and beyond) for wedding and portraiture bookings. If you are interested in discussing a shoot or wedding day coverage, i'd love to hear from you! Drop me a line (email@example.com) or a call (07429017143).